To the sadness of fish lovers everywhere, I bring you this horrific article on what the future of salmon looks like. We have all heard of the dangers of genetically modified corn and soy (which, majority of Americans consume on a daily basis)-but fish? Women’s Health has reported, in their September issue, this debacle may only be few years away from landing on our grocery store shelves. Recently, a biotechnological company, ABT, has engineered this “frankenfish” that is capable of growing twice as fast as the salmon we are accustomed to. Double the size, but served with a slew of potential health hazards and food safety concerns such as increased cancer risk, creation of allergens and toxins in our body, infertility, and kidney, liver and gastrointestinal problems.
I love fish. It is my main source of protein. Not only is it delicious, it’s heart healthy, prevents inflammation and reduces risk of depression and Alzheimer’s due to its omega-3-fatty acids. And, frankly, I don’t like my food messed with. Our earth provides us with a bounty of scrumptious food, straight from the ground. Do we need guys in white lab coats with test tubes creating our next meal? I think not.
Women’s Health notes that “although a 2008 poll by CBS News found that 87 percent of people want food with GM ingredients to be labeled-just as they are for trans fats, MSG and aspartame- these fish, like GM crops, probably won’t be.” As a consumer, I would like to have a choice whether to put my body in danger or abstain from genetically modified ingredients, but the FDA begs to differ. The article goes on to say, “with GM food, however, it’s not labeled, everyone’s eating it, and because it cross-pollinates and self propagates, it can’t be recalled. If there are side effects, we might never know.” Hearing facts like that shock and anger me. I’m insulted at the aloofness of these companies towards human well-being.
This is not simply a health issue, it is an ethical one. Are we so concerned with profits that our physical condition no longer matters? Where does the madness stop? Economical to consumers and lucrative to fish farmers, but at what cost to our health? I’m terrified of what’s next--genetically engineered bacon, anyone? In an age where majority of our food is processed and GMO-laden foods do not require labeling while carrying a slew of risk- I urge you to stand up for what’s on your plate.
Sign the petition to stop genetically modified salmon here.

I agree, the earth provides enough healthy foods and I don't want the government deciding what I should or shouldn't be consuming. You mentioned genetically engineered bacon, in a round about way we are already consuming that because commercial farmers are feeding this GM corn and soy to their cattle and pigs to fatten them up. Unless you are getting your food from an organic farmer or growing it yourself you are getting something that has been altered in one form or another.
ReplyDeletedon't even get me started on what they feed the cattle and pigs! :)
ReplyDeletea