Are you single and never plan to marry? What if I told you that your life expectancy is 32% less compared to married individuals? Alarming, but true, according to a new study by American Journal of Epidemiology, as reported by MSNBC.com. The research attributes these findings to overall better health, higher income and presence of social support in married couples. Single men have the worst outcome: they may die 8-17 years before their married friends. Females aren’t too far behind with 7-15 years earlier. There are both physical and psychological advantages to tying the knot. Physically, you’re less likely to drink heavily and more likely to exercise. Psychologically, you’re more likely to be happy, in turn, lowering your risk of depression.
I may be doomed. I’ve always been content with being single. In fact, I prefer it. The thought of me in a wedding gown makes me cringe. I have no immediate wishes to ride around in a mini van and participate in bake sales. Our society, on the other hand, makes singles feel like outsiders. By age 30, if we are not settled down, we are constantly interrogated by our family, and worst of all, not invited to “couples only” dinners. So, according to the article, I should start searching for my soul mate in order to avoid croaking 15 years before my married friends. However, isn't the "single life" more comfortable and relaxed? There is no one waking you up at night with their snoring, and your dinner, (if you wish), can consist of pizza rolls and Doritos.
The study claims that longevity is closely tied to your marital status and explain, "the researchers speculate their longevity findings could be tied to poorer health benefits, meager public assistance and less income for singles. And some singles may not have the same social support that married couples have by default". I personally disagree with these findings. Yes, as a single person you are bound to have less income, but at the same time, you have less expenses (child care, mortgage, family vacations). As far as health, singles have more time to focus on themselves which equates to more time to exercise and plan healthful meals, if they choose. "If you’re a couple, a spouse may be after you to eat better and go the doctor," the article states, "sometimes it’s just easier to be healthier and less of a risk taker when you’re married.” Are single people not capable of taking themselves to the doctor when it is needed without a significant other nagging for them to do so? Of course they are. However, I do agree with some advantages of marriage such as constant social support and, the most important, presence of love.
The study claims that longevity is closely tied to your marital status and explain, "the researchers speculate their longevity findings could be tied to poorer health benefits, meager public assistance and less income for singles. And some singles may not have the same social support that married couples have by default". I personally disagree with these findings. Yes, as a single person you are bound to have less income, but at the same time, you have less expenses (child care, mortgage, family vacations). As far as health, singles have more time to focus on themselves which equates to more time to exercise and plan healthful meals, if they choose. "If you’re a couple, a spouse may be after you to eat better and go the doctor," the article states, "sometimes it’s just easier to be healthier and less of a risk taker when you’re married.” Are single people not capable of taking themselves to the doctor when it is needed without a significant other nagging for them to do so? Of course they are. However, I do agree with some advantages of marriage such as constant social support and, the most important, presence of love.
Marriage is not magical. If you are depressed, unhealthy and poor, it will not mysteriously turn you into a wealthy, jubilant athlete. It may, however, (according to this study), prolong your existence. As for the happily single individuals, we can continue to enjoy our freedom, spontaneity and tranquility. Best of all: we have the bed all to ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I believe if the right person comes along, there is no other option but to embrace it. Love is a beautiful thing, and for those lucky enough to find it should cherish it, whether it adds 15 years to your life, or not.

I'm uncertain whether or not I will live longer because I'm married, sometimes I think my husband would like to strangle me, but through the statistics provided,they may be on to something.
ReplyDeleteWell for me I've been both single and married. And I prefer married. While the research offers some great points about income, health and support benefits of being married, there are no guarantees that you'll have any of that. Marriage is an incredible adventure and should be based on love. I don't know if being married will add any years to my life, but it sure does add purpose.Time is a gift, so you should make the most of every minute of it whether your single or married.
ReplyDelete