Sunday, October 2, 2011

FDA: New Cigarette labels

   
     For the first time in 25 years, cigarette packs are getting a “face lift”, with a healthier America in mind. The United States Food and Drug Administration recently revealed  the nine images that will soon be implemented on cigarette packs. According to the ABC News Article, the “modest one-liners” that we are used to seeing  are history. Replacing them are illustrations of  rotten teeth and a man with a tracheotomy hole. Nearly one year from now (Oct. 22, 2012, to be exact), all tobacco manufacturers will be required to boast these large cigarette graphics.
     Will it make a difference? Current smokers are fully aware of the dangers of tobacco use. Who isn’t?  In my opinion, a smoker has to make a personal choice to quit and be willing and ready to implement this lifestyle change. Smoking IS a choice, but it is still an ADDICTION, and many just feel like it is out of their control.
     The United States was the first to utilize health warnings on tobacco products, however, currently we are far behind other countries. Is it too little too soon? The article states, “many experts say the new labels don't go far enough compared to the gruesome images displayed on cigarette labels in more than 40 other countries”. For example, in Canada, “images used on cigarette packs are so disturbing that some smokers buy covers for their cigarette packs to block out the images”. Some critics argue these labels won‘t be much help; “the point of putting these pictures is the shock value and research tells us shock value on its own rarely works”.
     I am happy the FDA is making an attempt, although, I doubt it will make much a difference with current smokers. Hopefully it WILL make a difference in the youth today. As a smoker, maybe it will encourage me to finally quit this poisonous habit.

1 comment:

  1. Advertising gruesome pictures on the packs isn't going to stop much of the problem. I don't know a single person beyond the age of three who doesn't know the dangers of smoking. I don't smoke because it is against my beliefs. I also think I'll have enough health problems in my later life without making it worse.

    ReplyDelete