Monday, October 24, 2011

Tattooed Barbie

   
      Tokidoki Barbie, a new collector’s edition doll dons tattoos on her arm and neck, as well as a pink bob. The new Barbie is making news, because according to a lot of parents; she is too risqué. Accompanying the controversial tattoos is a “punk’ outfit consisting of leopard-print leggings and a skull t-shirt. The company responsible for the doll, Mattel, contends that the doll is not being marketed to children and is only for adult collectors. Still, parents are unhappy with the message it may be sending to young children.
     I didn’t know having tattoos and pink hair was so taboo. Are we worried about our 5-year olds going out and getting a real tattoo, because Barbie makes it look cool? You can get a nurse Barbie, fashionista Barbie, why not a tattooed Barbie? We sell ‘temporary’ tattoos to kids, how is this different? I guess we’re not angry anymore at the fact that Barbie would be 5’11 & 75 pounds if she were a real person.
     Just one of the peeved parents, Kevin Buckner, declares that ““it’s teaching kids to want tattoos before they are old enough to dress like that”. Another parent doesn’t think the Barbie is so obscene; “I much prefer tattoos to unrealistic proportions and the message that the most important thing is to be pretty and get a boy. Good for you Mattel for making a doll a little more like the rest of us. I consider it a tiny step in the right direction”.
     Can I just tell all the parents of the world to relax? There are worse things that could happen than your child one day getting a tattoo. Don’t like it? Don’t buy the Barbie for your child!

1 comment:

  1. I agree if you don't like it don't buy it. Parents are getting to uptight about what their kids see and hear on the television and advertisments in stores. I have a daughter and if I didn't like something I would just make sure that she understands why and work on why she does like it. At least then you have common ground.

    ReplyDelete