Saturday, November 12, 2011
McRib: 70 ingredients?
The McRib, according to Yahoo News, has a “cult-like” following. Many people believe that since McDonald’s only brings it back for a ‘limited time’, it creates a psychological urgency (another marketing tactic). What appears completely innocent: a bun, pork, pickles and barbecue sauce, may not be simple. The article reports that the McRib contains 70 ingredients, with just the bun containing 34. That may be shocking on its own, but one of the ingredients is that same one used to make yoga mats. That is enough to make you cringe.
If you want to keep eating the barbecued-pork-creation when McDonalds tactfully brings it back to their menu, I’d suggest you quit reading…
The sandwich, seemingly, only contains 4 ingredients. (pork, bun, pickles, onions), 5 if you count the barbecue sauce. Of the 34 ingredients in the bun one is a “ flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufacturing of foamed plastics like gym mats the and soles of shoes”. Yummy! The remaining 36? Well, the meat, of course! “Pig innards and plenty of salt”, the article claims, including “pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach”. Furthermore, “these parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together”.
The only good news, I suppose, is if you’re a hot dog eater--you shouldn’t mind eating the McRib..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

YUCK. I think I'm gonna be sick now. I'm officially done with McYucks!
ReplyDeleteWow that one heck of a thing to use in food! I'm glad I didn't like it before but now at least I have a reason to state when I tell people why I don't like them.
ReplyDelete